Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vintage stereo equipment
07-30-2016, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2016 08:00 PM by BayouTiger.)
RE: Vintage stereo equipment
Most of the brands have had their ups and downs. Especially the mid 80's till mid 90's when plastic black faces took over (sorry Dave! Smile ). Overall I think Yamaha has been the most consistently good. They still cover the low end while offering really nice higher end stuff.

BTW, Dave I'm very familiar with New Generation. They were in Lafayette and Baton Rouge. I've bought a good bit from them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Dave, I use a combo of 501 and 301 Bose. I bought the 901 years ago from circuit city but took them back, did not think much of them.
07-30-2016, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2016 09:40 PM by BayouTiger.)
901's need a perfect room to work. They are also dependent on a ton of EQ. Not for me.

Hell, with your taste in music, I had you figured for a big pair of Vega's, or maybe Dominator MX10s Laugh

Please Register or Login to view links.
07-30-2016, 10:13 PM
(07-30-2016 09:37 PM)BayouTiger Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.901's need a perfect room to work. They are also dependent on a ton of EQ. Not for me.

Hell, with your taste in music, I had you figured for a big pair of Vega's, or maybe Dominator MX10s Laugh

Laugh the 501s and 301s together make my music work. Yeah I had a room just for the stero equipment, bought the 901 stands and everything. Still sounded like crap. I think they were the trendy thing at the time.
I was looking at a reel to reel the other day, but I only used them years ago for mix tapes.
07-30-2016, 11:10 PM
I had a great one (teach X-1000r -same one in Pulp Fiction) but it had some minor issues and I tossed it. Tossed a bunch of equipment that today would be fixed and valuable could shoot myself.

Near impossible to get tape for open reels today. Really not worth fooling with but the trendies will still buy them for cool factor.
07-30-2016, 11:14 PM
I saw this on eBay, the guy seems to do nice work
07-30-2016, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2016 11:36 PM by Williamsrt.)
(07-30-2016 11:10 PM)BayouTiger Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.I had a great one (teach X-1000r -same one in Pulp Fiction) but it had some minor issues and I tossed it. Tossed a bunch of equipment that today would be fixed and valuable could shoot myself.

Near impossible to get tape for open reels today. Really not worth fooling with but the trendies will still buy them for cool factor.

I had a akai and believe or not a portable sharp reel to reel. It had built in speakers, I took it to the lake all the time.

Wow found one on eBay Laugh used to carry this heavy pos to the lake and parties.
07-31-2016, 09:17 AM
Just checked the Louisville CL this morning. Holy crap!!! There are more great turntables listed there than I will see in NOLA in years, including TWO AR-XA's which are the most prized vintage tables ever made. Also a Philips 212 (another classic), and some others. Unless you want an automatic, or looking for an all Pioneer setup, I would scoop one of the XA's up in a heartbeat! I've also owned two Philips including the 312 and they were outstanding.

[Image: 00d0d_igkzXc792Qt_600x450.jpg]
07-31-2016, 12:31 PM
(07-31-2016 09:17 AM)BayouTiger Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.Just checked the Louisville CL this morning. Holy crap!!! There are more great turntables listed there than I will see in NOLA in years, including TWO AR-XA's which are the most prized vintage tables ever made. Also a Philips 212 (another classic), and some others. Unless you want an automatic, or looking for an all Pioneer setup, I would scoop one of the XA's up in a heartbeat! I've also owned two Philips including the 312 and they were outstanding.

[Image: 00d0d_igkzXc792Qt_600x450.jpg]

Our CL has a lot of stuff period. If you see anything you want? Let me know and I will pick it up and get it to you. I saw a technics the other day on there but it was a MCS version so I passed.