MOPARfan.com  From Classics to Modern MOPAR's
Let's talk about exhaust size. - Printable Version

+- MOPARfan.com From Classics to Modern MOPAR's (http://moparfan.com)
+-- Forum: Performance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Forum: Power Adders (/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Thread: Let's talk about exhaust size. (/showthread.php?tid=3934)

Pages: 1 2

Let's talk about exhaust size. - fastrt09 - 02-10-2017 11:21 AM

Since I'm running 9,10# of boost if been wondering if it would be beneficial to get a bigger exhaust system. Right now ive got JBA shortie headers stock mid pipes and the 2.5 American Thunder exhaust. Would it be worth the cost to switch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RE: Let's talk about exhaust size. - Colonel Angus - 02-10-2017 01:02 PM

If you were NA I would say ditch the catted mid pipes. FI cars don't seem to mind them up to a certain HP level. I think Speedy still runs stock mids? You could get a 3" system and sell your old one to help offset the cost in case it didn't help much.

RE: Let's talk about exhaust size. - Mopar408 - 02-10-2017 01:41 PM

I had run stock cats with my Maggie and when we put the Whipple (12-13#s) on hogged them out. No significant difference from my perspective.

Let's talk about exhaust size. - rdrdr90 - 02-10-2017 04:43 PM

I have the SRT exhaust on mine, I also have catless. Louder and smellier, can't say I notice a difference without the cats aside from noise and smell. Laugh

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

RE: Let's talk about exhaust size. - fastrt09 - 02-10-2017 05:58 PM

Cats got to stay in, i have emissions where I live. Just trying to see if it's worth the expense upping the exhaust diameter.

I don't think I would get much for the exhaust since I had dent the shit out of the mufflers for the 4"ds

RE: Let's talk about exhaust size. - Bryali - 02-11-2017 10:18 AM

When I put the Whipple on, we kept the stock exhaust manifolds and mids and about 6 months later that we were buying our ARH long tubes with catless mids because our cats were failing.

To your situation, you could probably find a complete SRT takeoff for pretty cheap if you don't want to spend $1500 for a catback.

Let's talk about exhaust size. - Mopar408 - 02-11-2017 10:48 AM

(02-10-2017 05:58 PM)fastrt09 Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.Cats got to stay in, i have emissions where I live. Just trying to see if it's worth the expense upping the exhaust diameter.

I don't think I would get much for the exhaust since I had dent the shit out of the mufflers for the 4"ds

Do the cats have to stay for visual or tested inspection? If visual, cheapest route it to hog them out.

RE: Let's talk about exhaust size. - fastrt09 - 02-11-2017 01:07 PM

We get the actual test,plugging in to the computer. If I'm only gonna gain 10 20 hp it's not really worth it. I watch a episode of the engine masters were they tested 2.5 to 3.0 and had some gains that's what got me thinking about it.

RE: Let's talk about exhaust size. - Williamsrt - 02-11-2017 01:46 PM

I dynoed before and after. Long tubes, no cats added no HP and added no ET over stock exhaust. That was with the stock block 5.7 and 10# boost maggie.

RE: Let's talk about exhaust size. - fastrt09 - 02-11-2017 09:11 PM

(02-11-2017 01:46 PM)Williamsrt Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.I dynoed before and after. Long tubes, no cats added no HP and added no ET over stock exhaust. That was with the stock block 5.7 and 10# boost maggie.
Well that's settles it, saveing my money for something else. Do you think cut outs would be worth it? Maybe it's time for a torque convertor